Skip to main content
Call 817-420-7978 To Schedule a Consultation

How Can I Make My Mexican Fiancé a U.S. Citizen

How Can I Make My Mexican Fiancé a U.S. Citizen

If you married someone from Mexico and are planning to sponsor your new husband or wife, here are some important legal and practical information. Getting a spousal visa is often a marriage – based on the green card, but not necessarily a permanent residence status. [Sources: 8, 14]

A spouse of a US citizen can begin the process by submitting a visa application (I-130), which the citizen must file at the same USGIS office. Applications for marriage based on a spousal visa green card include submitting forms and documents and attending an interview with the US immigration authorities. [Sources: 7, 13, 14]

Applications for an engagement visa can be made at the USGIS office, provided the couple meets all other requirements for the past two years. If you are not married and have been married to a US citizen spouse for two years, you can apply for a K-1 “Engagement Visa” with the expectation that you will be a permanent resident. To apply for the visa, you must meet your spouse in person. For example, if you have not yet married and you and your spouse are overweight or still married, you do not need to have met the spouse in person before you receive your visa. [Sources: 2, 6, 9]

The immigrant then has the opportunity to get married and apply for a green card at the local USGIS office. You have two years from the date of your marriage to the date of your marriage to apply for the K-1 Engagement Visa. The immigrant has a two-year period from the time he or she marries until he / she You apply for his / her green card at your local office in the US and then have the option of a second two-year period. [Sources: 15]

If the immigrant’s spouse enters the United States, you can arrange an interview with the consulate to approve his visa. [Sources: 15]

If you are a US citizen and have already married a foreign citizen, you can sponsor your spouse with a Green Card. If you are a US citizen or a permanent resident of another country, such as Canada or Mexico, you can apply for a green card in your country of residence. And if your spouse is abroad, they can be processed under the Foreign Working Visa Program (FWP) for visas. [Sources: 2, 5]

If you have already married your husband or wife, you can start the green card application by submitting the I-130 form to USCIS. If you are applying for a green card with an immediate family member who is a U.S. citizen, please fill out the Form I – 485 after you have filled out formula I – 130. [Sources: 5, 14]

For example, it takes at least 22 years and months for people from Mexico to obtain a green card. If you are married to an immigrant from another country and live in the US, the process of obtaining a US green card can take up to six months. [Sources: 12, 15]

If your spouse is a US citizen, he or she can sponsor an immigrant for a green card, which would reduce the backlog. K-1 visa, your foreign fiancee (s) can travel to the USA and marry his or her sponsor. [Sources: 1, 8]

If you are a close relative of a US citizen, this is the quickest way to obtain a green card, as stated in immigration law. If you get married and stay married all the time, you have to wait until you turn 21. If you live in the United States for at least five years after marriage, you can apply for citizenship to obtain a green card. You can also get your green cards from relatives with US citizenship if they live with you or a family member. [Sources: 5, 13]

This requires a US citizen to establish a relationship with you and to use the same legal documents that he has applied for, such as a driving license, social security card or passport. [Sources: 5, 7]

Another twist is that a mixed couple with status can file a marriage notice so you can become an undocumented spouse. To become a legal permanent resident (LPR) in the USCIS, a foreign citizen must apply for a status adjustment. [Sources: 0, 8]

If you are not legally married, you can apply for a temporary K-1 Engagement Visa, which allows you to enter the US to legally marry your fiancee with US citizenship. If your fiancee’s visa is approved, he or she can marry within 90 days of arriving in the United States and enter the United States as a legal permanent resident (LPR) if he or she can marry within 90 days. [Sources: 3, 6]

If the USCIS later decides that your fiancé has committed visa fraud, he or she will be deported and cannot legally return to the United States, even if you are both married. If you marry a US citizen and apply for I-485 status until you become a lawful permanent resident, you may be denied re-entry to the United States. You should consider these consequences, because the real reason you get married is to have a permanent residence. Your spouse may become a permanent resident of the United States after marriage with a Green Card and enter the United States within 90 days of obtaining permanent residence as a legal resident (LPR), provided that you both receive your actual green cards shortly thereafter. [Sources: 4, 10, 11, 14]